Have you noticed? Fall is in the air! School is back in full swing, the leaves are turning, and the temperatures are starting to cool down. It’s the perfect time to get outside and enjoy being active in nearly perfect temperatures. It is easier to enjoy outdoor activities in the fall when the temperatures are mild. We are between the uncomfortable heat of summer and the winter chill, so it makes sense to take advantage of the weather and head outdoors!
Another important reason to be outside right now is the vitamin D factor. If you live north of Atlanta, it is impossible to get enough vitamin D from the sun between October and March, regardless of how much time you spend outside. 1 Do your body a favor and give it a vitamin D boost by participating in some outdoor fall activities!
Here are some fun and healthy outdoor fall activities that you can enjoy while taking advantage of the daylight and pleasant weather that we have left:
- Rake leaves: This is surprisingly strenuous of the outdoor activities! It will get your heart rate up and give your upper body a serious workout if you go at it with gusto! Enlist the kids to help you, and rake and play in the leaves for an afternoon. You will be healthier, and your yard will look great!
- Tip: Be sure to change your raking hands (from right to left, left to right) every 5 minutes or so to maintain balance through the body.
- Pick apples: Another great family activity is apple picking. Few things say fall like a bountiful harvest. Apple orchards often have quaint gift stores and may even offer fresh apple cider and hayrides. Search online for an orchard near you and spend the day outdoors with your family and friends.
- Caution: Just one glass of apple cider (lots of sugar!), and steer clear of the candied apples!
- Take a walk: the best way to enjoy the brilliant colors of fall is to take a long walk. It’s a great way to see the beauty up close and personal. Places to walk include nearby parks, nature preserves, or hiking trails at a lake.
- Even more fun: If you have a dog, take a walk at the dog park. I guarantee your pup will thank you for it!
- Ride bikes, play touch football, and get involved in other sports: The cooler temperatures are invigorating. Early fall is a great time to pick up some new fun activities or resurrect some activities that you might have neglected for a while. Bike riding can be a blast! Grab some friends and take a spin!
- Visit Farmers’ Markets: It’s harvest time for many foods, so head out to your local farmers’ markets for some fresh and healthy selections. If you find a great deal on bulk items, consider bringing them home and putting them in the freezer for later.
- Caution: Just because it came from a farmer’s market doesn’t mean it’s organic. Get to know your farmer!
- Find a Pumpkin Patch and Corn Maze: If you are up for a bit of adventure, how about visiting a corn maze? They are a great way to get in a good walk while exercising your brain as well! You will often find local farms that offer both a corn maze to enjoy and a chance to choose your pumpkin. Go with friends to make it even more fun!
Enjoy your fall by taking the time to get outdoors and enjoy the daylight and pleasant weather that we have left! Soak up some vitamin D and make some memories with friends! If you’re looking forward to taking your workouts indoors or outdoors… you know that you can participate in our workouts from any mobile device, including your phone, laptop, or Chromebook. Join us in the morning from your backyard or deck? Haven’t you tried us yet? Go to our Homepage and fill out the form. Tell me more about you and what you want to achieve. If our small group schedule doesn’t fit yours, maybe you’d be interested in Personal Training? Head there now, and let’s figure that out!